Monday, October 12, 2009

Ugh!

Today, I hurt. I can barely walk up the stairs from a horrible pain in my left hip. I am angry and frustrated as this is 12 hours post run. My first real run back. I felt the tightness in my run, but it was bearable, more an annoyance than pain. All the other little aches and pains disappeared going into the 2nd mile. My hip stayed with me the full 4.25 miles (had I remembered a gel, it would have been longer so that will tell you it wasn't bad at all.)

Today, I attempted self-diagnosis. The pain I have is on the outside of my hip around the top outside area of the pelvic bone, the iliac crest. It is localized to that area, no radiating pain, an area about the size of my hand. The only thing in that area that makes sense is the IT band, more specifically the Tensor fasciæ latæ. My only course of action for correcting, core and hip strength training. Not too shabby for treatment but do I have time to get it back up to par in time? I also realize I've had this pain before, about 3-4 weeks after I gave up the gym. So, back to the gym I go as I am walking like a crippled old person. I have sympathy for them, this is painful! You don't realize how much is connected until you start running. Coach Nancy always tells us about the kinetic chain, well, my kinetic chain is telling me I need a stronger core and hips to help this one little area!

I have 6 1/2 weeks until my first half and I seem to be hitting every issue known to man! Pulled Piriformis, severe upper respiratory infection, agitated hip. Tonight, I will do some home exercises plus pilates to help with the core, stretch and ice. Tomorrow, depending on how it feels I will do a 3 mile easy run, followed by stretching and icing.

I did try the Galloway method and I like it. I will be using it for this half and will work on fully building up for Disney after Space Coast. I am running Pumpkins in the Park on Oct. 30 with a bunch of my husband's co-workers, so I'm hoping my little issue doesn't present itself for that!

Well, it's a typical busy Monday and this little blog has taken 2 hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment