Sunday, November 8, 2009

Paint the Town 5K

Most of you know I've been battling some hip issues for the last 2 months. It has been really hard on me as I haven't been able to run without pain and extreme tightness when I am done. I had a massage Thursday with a new therapist who spent a lot of time working the kinetic chain of my left side. He worked my back, my buttock and my leg, paying attention to the TFL, gluteus medius, minimus, the piriformis and the IT band. I had no idea my left IT band was that tight! He loosened it some, I hydrated really well and did a yoga stretch before bed like he recommended. Friday and Saturday, I worked with the foam roller and stretched before bed, like advised.


I got up this morning, my right side was sore! Not my left. What the heck? It quickly worked itself out and I spent some time on the roller working my glutes and left IT band. I got ready and was feeling OK. I knew the test is when I would have to get out of the car, if it hurts the run is going to suck. It didn't bother me that bad. I didn't want to risk a big warm up to where I might inflame the area. We lined up, it was really breezy and starting to get warm. The first mile went well, but 1.25 I had to stop and walk, my lungs hated me. I am soooo out of shape from not being able to run. I walked for a minute then ran some more until my lungs needed another break, this went on for the rest of the race. At 2.85 miles I decided no matter how hard my lungs had to work I was going to finish strong and at least get a course record. I knew at the beginning there would be no PR. I came around the corner and the wind hit me like a brick wall, I slowed down, decided to fight it and powered on to the bridge, this part hurt. I was running a slight incline in to heavy wind. I was so happy to crest the bridge to try and pick up the pace on the downhill into the finishing chute.

I have really had to tell myself, I did my best, I know I could have PRed on this race if I had pushed harder, however, if I had I could be in bad shape now. Sueann was right behind me by 2 minutes. She had a massive side stitch and I could see her struggling to breathe. She made it though and I had to coach her through the best I could. We got our water, lined up for a nice spread of fruit and bagels, then to the chiropractic tent to get stretched by the pros! This was the more painful but best part. I had an intern who really worked my sore spots. I wouldn't know how well he had done until I got home. It didn't hurt to get out of the car! After runs, sitting for 15+ minutes make standing extremely painful. I can feel the area, but the pain is minimal, just some soreness.

I'm going to continue aggressively with therapy from the massage therapist and I will be seeing the intern who worked on me today for myofascial release. I am hoping that by Space Coast I will be able to get my fitness back up cardio wise, muscle wise I will be fine. So I'm not as depressed today, things ARE looking up!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment