Sunday, November 15, 2009

Paul DeBryun 15K

Wow! I am still in shock. I stayed up later than planned last night watching Up with the family. I had a horrible time getting to sleep (last I looked at the clock it was after 11. When the alarm went off at 3:45 all I wanted to do was go back to bed!!! I don't know how Jeanine and CC got up as early as they did! I got around, took a bath (forgot to shave last night LOL.) I e-mailed back and forth with Sueann, got a call from Jeanine when they got into New Smyrna and headed out the door to get Sueann.


The morning was cool and clear at around 55, the temp fell off when we got to the restaurant the race was starting at. We found Jeanine and CC and went through all the pre-race stuff. When it was time to line up the 30Kers (CC and Jeanine) were starting further back and on the other side of A1A. When we started I hung with Sueann, I stayed with her the first 3 miles before I slowly started pulling away. We saw the most beautiful sunrise with a cloud bank on the horizon and waves crashing on the beach. I really wished I had had my camera! I took it really easy and ran my slowest 5K ever I had just passed the 5K mark when the winner flew by the other way..he took it in under 60 minutes (I think they said 53 and some change)...HOLY SPEED DEMON!!! Then a slow 10K, I don't know if it was my slowest, I'd have to go back and look. I was starting to get fatigued at 7 miles, got a gel down and started feeling better. I saw Jeanine and CC going into their 2nd 15K in the last 1/2 mile of mine. I was stoked, I hadn't walked a pace, not even for water or gels. I actually managed to get to an 8:18/mile for the end. I had no idea when I got to the finish I had gashed a toe open with a toenail from another toe. My shoe was covered in blood, they told me when I came across the finish. I had noticed my sock sticking to me and was confused after the first 5 miles but ignored it. There was enough blood I couldn't find where it was coming from and I couldn't tell where it was coming from. The one day I forget my flip flops! I crossed the finish line at 1:48:42. Sueann crossed 4 minutes behind me, she also ran the whole thing!!!!

I know now I'll be OK for Space Coast as long as I keep it steady. I need to stretch better after, I'm a little sore now, but I'm so happy.

I even had negative splits!!! First 5K - 37:44 2nd 5K - 36:32 and the final 5K - 34:26. Avg Pace was 11:44. Considering the farthest I've run in over 2 months was the 5 miles I pulled Friday...HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!!

I will run that race again, it was nice. We ran asphalt, hard packed sand, cement and wooden boardwalk. My favorite part!!!! I always love running the boardwalk!!

I have to give CC kudos for pulling off a 30K!! You did awesome CC!! I also want to give Jeanine a huge kudos, she attempted a 30K with the flu! I had no idea she was that sick, that is hard core!!!! Awesome job, you almost had it!!!!!! I'm soooo proud of the 3 girls (Sueann, CC and Jeanine) who ran the race today I can't even put it into words!!!

I'm ready for a nap! I think I darn well deserve it! I now know, I was made for distance not speed! I enjoyed the 15K distance the most of the distances I've done, I'm think the 15K or the 1/2 may just be my distance!!

No comments:

Post a Comment