Saturday, February 21, 2009

Healthy Heart 10K - My first 10K!

Wow! It was COLD this morning!!! I was running a tad bit late as there was ICE on my windshield! Sueann had it too. I talked to her while we headed to our meeting place down the road from the race. The temp gauge said 30, it was 32 when we got to the race site, we hit the restrooms, got our bibs on, picked up our chips and then warmed up some and lined up. Sueann stayed up with me for a couple of minutes after the horn went off, then hit her pace and I got mine, I was hurting, but I had gone into this expecting to maintain a 10:30 - 10:45 minute mile so I knew I would be able to finish. We were running with elite runners and knew it (the winner ran it in 35:33.) I decided to just enjoy it and run, and try to stay warm! There were several hills I wasn't prepared for and I felt them! On our first loop, we had 2. We ran through a neighborhood with a hill and then back out onto a main road, I couldn't believe the frost everywhere! We came out of the neighborhood and rounded 2 more corners and there was a bigger hill, this would be the 5th mile on the 2nd loop so I prepared myself mentally for it. We were 3.5 miles in when we got passed by the winner. Then 60 seconds later the next guy passed, 20 seconds later, the next guy, well we come around the curve a couple of minutes later and the guy who was in 3rd is in front of the guy was was in 2nd and they had made a bad turn, the guy who had been in 2nd upped his pace to try to pass the guy in front of him who had been behind him. I wondered if anyone else would make that mistake. I ran on, completed my 2nd loop the weird pain in my leg finally gone, I came around the last curve and picked up my pace then sprinted the end of it. I came in chip time of 1:05:54 but Garmin time of 1:05:44 - I go with Garmin since I shut off the iPod after the guy pulled my chip and the iPod said 1:05:54! I maintained a 10:37 pace even with a shooting pain from my ankle up my calf for 4 miles. I am happy with my time, I wanted to complete this in under 1:15 since it was my first and I did that!!! I will do the 10K again!

No comments:

Post a Comment