Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Running weekend and a sick week

OK, so I know runs over 75 minutes drain your immune system, but come on! I had a beautiful run Sunday, nice long slow distance run (what we like to call a LSD run - not the drug!) I clocked in 8.5 miles from the park over the causeway, down Peninsula until it dead ended at the Coast Guard station, into Smyrna Dunes park where we ran the boardwalks, ran the stairs over the dunes and onto the beach- Ouch! Sugar sand is a big workout! We got past the sugar sand and past the jetty and closer to the surf. It was warm out, the surfers were in full force the sun slowly rising over the water. It was a phenomenal couple of miles, then back up Flagler over the causeway and back to the park for a quick stretch on the docks above the river. That was Sunday. I logged a short 2 miler on the dreadmill Tuesday before a nice hard lower body workout. I started feeling sick about an hour after I got home, showered, headed into our Edgewater office to deliver laptops to the nurses, then got to Indian River Elementary to have a meeting with Cody's new speech teacher, was finally sitting still and noticed I was getting very congested. How did this come on so quick and right before a race? Are you kidding me? Only 1 race I've done was I not under the weather and I've managed to improve my times each time.

I felt a little better this morning, that is until I started running! I did notice my legs were into it...pushing me a long on a nice tempo run, however from the neck up was not working, I couldn't breathe deep enough, my nose was starting to run and I was getting a really bad headache. I called it quits a mile in, one of my best miles and I would have loved to have carried that on for the 5 miles I had planned on getting in this morning. I stopped running, felt sick, decided if I was going to get sick, I might as well push it to force it, so I turned the garmin back on and sprinted until I saw a block in the road and a car coming. I managed to hit 11 mph! Granted it was a 20 second sprint, but I think I could have done longer. When I get better, I am going to start doing sprints! It was fun, challenging and rewarding when I saw my speed! I am going to take the next 2 days off and rest and try to get better for my race. I am hoping to get some upper body and core work in tomorrow, but no cardio.

I got e-mail on my race Saturday, I am thinking I need to go pick up my packet Thursday or Friday in Lake Mary. I love the logo for it.



Well time to get ready for work, I'll be back on Saturday post race I'm sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment