Sunday, November 28, 2010

Space Coast Marathon (Marathon #1 in quest for Marathon Maniac status)

Saturday we headed to the expo and met up with Brad and his daughter Tara who was running the half with him, Kathy and her daughter, Mary and her hubby Mark, and Barry.

From left to right: Barry, Me, Kathy, Mary, Sueann, Brad


We headed to dinner after and met up with Tia and her husband Johnny who were getting to Cocoa later than originally planned, Mary and Mark, Barry, Brad and Tara. We had a nice night despite mediocre food, the company more than made up for it!


From left to right: Johnny, MR BQ!! is standing, Tia, Mary, Mark, Barry, me, Sueann, Brad and Tara.

We headed home after dinner and getting to bed proved to be a chore! I laid down at 10, way later than planned with the alarm set for 3:30 so we could be gone by 4. I get to Sueann's house and thank God she was carrying her bib, I had forgot mine!!!! We went back and grabbed it and headed out. We heard from Kathy that she was at the race site. We got there, got parked, ran into some other half fanatics on the way to bag check, got some pics then Barry called, we went over to see everyone including Suezette who was running the half before heading over to take a group pic with the fanatics and maniacs, what an awesome group of people!!!!


We lined up, found Kathy and after the countdown and lift off, we were off. We were doing 3/2 intervals so we could make the jump in mileage from 18.6 to 26.2 without as much issue. We took it easy and steady for the first half, we were starting to speed up in the 2nd half, I caught us several times in the 10 minute range and I don't mean upper 10, lower 10. We saw Mary leaving and whooped and cheered for her. We were starting to pick people off left and right! We were doing awesome until the last 5K split, I was really struggling, my feet were really hurting and I was ready to be done. We ran when we could and somehow mustered a sprint at the end with Barry and Suezette cheering us in! We went to wait for Kathy to come in and then Tia and Johnny found us. Johnny BQed, we are super happy for him, he was smiling every time we saw him during the race!! Here we are after we finished.


After we were done, Barry, Suezette, Sueann and I headed to Chili's for a bite before heading home


What a great day, everyone PRed! It was a nice day for a run!!! I'm super proud of each and every one of them!!!!

Previous PR - Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon: 6:04:27

New PR - Space Coast Marathon: 5:43:31

In 1 week I have PRed a half marathon and a marathon, I think I've found my mojo again!


Peace, Love and 26.2!

No comments:

Post a Comment